I wrote the following for an assignment where I was to include what influenced me to teach, and my ambitions.
I grew up watching my dad educate students in secondary education. During his 26 years of teaching his influence affected hundreds of students. I crave for the opportunity to influence students of my own. I want to encourage someone to reach their full potential and find success in their lives.
During my senior year of high school I registered for an American Sign Language (ASL) class. Taking this class inspired me to develop skills in ASL and eventually led me to register for all the available classes at Dixie State College. Currently I am employed as a communication intervener with Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind which allows me to use my ASL skills.
The past four years I have taught young children how to swim through the American Red Cross. In addition, this summer I started a special needs swimming lesson program and have grown to love these children. During my years of teaching these young children I have come to appreciate that every child has a different learning style. Every year I teach I learn new ways to inspire and encourage the children to succeed. I find joy and excitement from watching them master new skills.
When I finish my degree at Dixie State I would like to work in the parent infant program with Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind. I decided on this career because I grew up always wanting to teach in someway and influence others. My desire to pursue a degree in elementary education was influenced by observing my father, my high school American Sign Language class, and my own experiences teaching swimming lessons.
No comments:
Post a Comment